Serving all law enforcement chaplains

Welcome to the ICPC Discussion Forum
Welcome to The International Conference of Police Chaplains Member Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. Current ICPC members who register will be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to join our community!
Please use the same email address you have on file with ICPC.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Author requests your experiences; We have an author who has contacted us with a question for his book.
Topic Started: May 17 2016, 03:16 PM (370 Views)
BartLeger
Member Avatar
Forum Administrator
"I'm an author whose main character in the series I'm writing is a hospital chaplain; in addition, the local PD department is hoping to add him on-call to their staff. I'm wondering if perhaps you can answer a few questions for me.

In my novel, the city council won't approve of the position of a PD chaplain, even on a volunteer basis. The atheist mayor feels insulted by the idea of spirituality being "imposed" on a public service, arguing "separation of church and state" issues. In the end my protagonist wins his case and is added to the PD staff, but it's a tough fight for him--a fight that I need to make as realistic as possible in regards to the possible arguments on both sides.

Has anyone in your organization personally run into a similar scenario, and if so, can they provide insight to the arguments that the city council might make in trying to deny the police chaplain request, and the arguments my protagonist may make in defense? I have several scenes solidly written and am working on more, but further ideas and scenarios are always helpful, particularly if there are any legal aspects I should be made aware of regarding this subject."

Please post your answers to his question.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Questions · Next Topic »
Add Reply